Governments around the world spend an estimated US $9.5 trillion every year through contracts yet information about the contracting process is often inaccessible. The Open Contracting Data Standard works to address this.
On Thursday 30th July 2015 in Berlin, Germany, we will be hosting an introductory workshop on the Open Contracting Data Standard for contracting data producers and users from across Europe.
This workshop will:
- Introduce the key concepts of Open Contracting;
- Share case studies of how open contracting is being used to bring greater efficiency, transparency and effectiveness to public procurement;
- Provide an overview of the Open Contracting Data Standard;
- Work through the practical steps involved in implementing the Open Contracting Data Standard;
- Explore different approaches to using Open Contracting data, and increasing data re-use;
The workshop will be tailored around the needs of participants, and will be suitable for:
- Policy makers and officials responsible for procurement systems and reforms;
- Civil society organisations interested in the use of contracting data;
- Government technology staff working on open data and public procurement systems;
- Vendors of technology solutions for public procurement management;
The workshop takes place as part of a week of co-working activities, bringing together individuals and organisations from across Europe who are working on the use of technology to make contracting data more accessible. You can request more information about taking part in these co-working activities when you register for the training, or see the etherpad here.
Register to attend
Venue and logistics
Venue tbc. The venue will be located within a short public transit ride of Berlin Central Station.
The session will start at 10am, and will run until 5pm. Coffee and lunch will be provided.
Free wifi will be available at the venue.
The sessions will be conducted in English.
Sponsors & co-ordinators
10:00 – 10:15 – Welcome & introductions.
10:15 – 11:00 – An introduction to Open Contracting: what it is, and why it matters?
With case studies from around the world.
11.00 – 11.15 – Coffee
11.15 – 12.15 – An overview of the Open Contracting Data Standard (OCDS)
12.15 – 12.30 – Activity: identifying contracting data flows
12.30 – 13.30 – Lunch
13.30 – 14.30 – Step-by-step guide to OCDS implementation & use
14.30 – 15.00 – Increasing use – ways of making data more accessible
15.00 – 15.30 – Coffee
15.30 – 16.45 – Focussed group work
Break-out sessions with OCDS experts to look at particular issues of concern to you.
16.45 – 17.00 – Recap and close.